Sunday, August 12, 2012

covered in ink .

As tattoos gain more popularity and acceptance in today's society, I often go back and revisit my list of tattoos to get. It's always so hard to decide which I'm going to get next because there is such a big list. Personally, I don't have a problem with people with tattoos, and I enjoy hearing the stories behind them (though, admittedly, I know what it's like to be exhausted of telling the same story to everyone; sometimes I just have to be in the right mood to share). Some of my tattoos have a deeper meaning too, so much so that I'd just rather not share the story with people who are curious. Regardless, I appreciate the curiosity from people.


There are a lot of people out there that have a few tattoos. By a few, I mean 2 or 3. But there are certainly not as many, and I think it's almost rare to see people that have a great many tattoos. First, it's very expensive; we're talking thousands of dollars to cover you're body, and if you're planning on a full body tattoo, hundreds of thousands. There are also a lot of painful areas. Many people get back and arm tattoos because they just don't hurt as much (talking from experience). I'll soon find out that stuff on your ribs hurts much more. You definitely need to be okay with needles, okay with being in a bit of pain and being uncomfortable to get a tattoo. In my opinion, though, it's totally worth it.

I can tell that there are still those people that give an odd look to someone with a lot of tattoos. Given that I will probably one day be one of those people receiving glances, what is the general consensus on this? From the tattoo shops I've been to, even if people have lots of tattoos they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I've never had a bad experience and I love my artist and the shop I go to. They're not pushy and they're there to give you the best work and the best experience possible. (If you're in my area, look up Fat Kat Tattoo in Keyport, it's truly the best place I've ever been; Nate owns the place and he is an amazing artist). So yeah, let me know your thoughts.

8 comments:

  1. I'm growing impatient to get my tattoo... It's something that I've had my heart set on for the past couple years and it's bound to happen. I've found a lot of comfort and shelter in the word "hope" and that is why I want it across my left wrist in brown ink. If someone asked my why I want it, I could go on and on giving them reasons.
    I was away camping this weekend, and one of the girls I was with talked about how she wants her whole arm done, "because it looks cool". She said that because of working at a convenient store, she sees a lot of different tattoos, and so that is why she wants it. I think she's lacking a lot of thought in it because any tattoo should have meaning and at the very least some kind of story behind it. It's going to be part of you for the rest of your life. But to each his own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely on the same page with you. Doing something because of just the way it looks isn't good. But it's important that you do like the way it looks -- you will after all have it for the rest of your life. I'm interested in why you say brown ink. I would say if anything get black, because it will fade to gray (meaning it will still be subtle) and brown might end up looking like dirt on your arm. Good luck! Write about it when you get it!

      Delete
    2. I want brown because I like the subtle look, and my skin does well with the neutral colours... although I never though about the possibility of it looking like dirt! ahah that's a good point(: But I will definitely write and put up pictures (I PROMISE!!) when I get it.

      Delete
  2. I think it's really important to think it through. Body art is for life. Just cause you think butterflies are pretty, doesn't mean you should get a tat of one. They're for life...that said, my one tattoo is 21 years old now and I still love it. It's who I am...but I don't Want anymore. It would take away from my original one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Lots of people that get one end up wanting more (myself included). I do have good reasons though. And I see it as an art form, not just ink in and of itself. Again, having meaning is great! Glad you still like the original one you have. Would love to see it!

      Delete
  3. I think tattoos are cool. I don't have problem with people have tattoos on their bodies. I think it's a personal choice. I thought about getting a tattoo many many times but I don't think I'm ready to commit having a permanent art inked into my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you're thinking it through. It is a big commitment! I love all of mine though, for sure. Thanks for your input!

      Delete
  4. Completely agree; it's artwork! You're right, they are much more artistic and meaningful (generally) than they used to be. I do like sharing the stories when people ask, and often I find those with tattoos ask about others' tattoos too; it's like our own little community. Great conversation starter too.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...