Friday, December 3, 2010

the end of the beginning.

Today was the last day of classes for the semester, and for most, just another day in life.

But to me, it was much more. Today marks the completion of my first semester of a real full-time, challenging, difficult studio. Today, I proved to myself that I can get through that ridiculous amount of work, make deadlines, and produce good projects, even if that means pulling the 30+ all nighters that I did this semester (and yes, that means I did not sleep for a cumulative month..).

The end of my first semester of studio brings about some really interesting feelings. In the back of my mind I am reminded that I have a final next Thursday... but in the forefront of my mind I realized how much I am going to miss that first group of people that were in my section of studio. We all started out as a group of individuals and we ended up as family by the end of the semester.

And this doesn't just go for the students, but I even feel much more comfortable with my studio professor. Hearing him say good luck and good work made me think shoot I'm not sure I want this semester to end yet. That may seem crazy, especially for those of you who know firsthand how much time I've spent at my desk in that one room in Lee Hall. Sure the workload is crazy, but we all knew that it was going to be. But what a sense of accomplishment when you get through it alive. Not that it would ever kill you obviously, but I know quite a few people who are dropping out of the major, realizing that this career path is not the choice for them. To be honest, it's gonna be really sad not seeing some of their faces next year. This semester has made me realize and has reinforced that this IS the right career choice for me. I love everything that we're doing. Sometimes I may think a project is stupid or I'm sick of working on it. Lord knows, I am grateful to finally be free from it for awhile.

But the point is, I feel like I've grown so close to these people in my major. In terms of those actually in my studio section, we've been to hell and back together. We've slaved away on projects, frantically worked up until deadlines, sweated through reviews, and helped each other out and pushed each other to our limits. I distinctly remember the moments right before our biggest project of the semester was due, those who had finished their projects were helping with the modeling for other people in our section who hadn't yet finished. I love that we all had that sort of connection, that we were all pulling for each other.

In terms of the rest of the people in the major, I know almost everybody. There are sadly still a few faces I don't know and haven't talked to. I know all of those people who I spent all nighters with all the time, and I have to say those late night/early morning trips to Cookout or McDonalds or BiLo were some of the best times I've had. I specifically remember flying down perimeter road on my bike with William at 330 or 4 in the morning and loving how freeing it was. It was little things like that that really brought us together. And now all of a sudden here we are at the end of the beginning.

So, some faces will go and find their new niche in life, but as for those that stay with us, I have no doubt that we'll grow even closer. It's really been a fun time, despite the work. There was nothing like walking into studio at 11pm and seeing those people that were always there and shooting a smile in their direction. Or being able to take a break from your own work to walk around and sightsee around the room, checking out what other people had been working on, and hearing how excited they were about their ideas for their own architectural masterpiece. I can honestly say that, walking around at the review today, I not only felt pride for my own project, but a bursting pride for all the other kids with their projects too.

People who aren't in the architecture major must think we're a cult or something, because all we ever do is hang out together or work together. To be completely honest, they've probably just about got it figured out. Being in this major, simply put, is somethin else. It's definitely becoming something near and dear to my heart, and I can't wait to embark on the next adventures that we have in the coming years as students in studio. It's gonna be a great upcoming 2 1/2 years.

So, in closing I just wanna direct some words to those who were in my section of studio: You guys were absolutely awesome. I could not have handpicked a better group of people to start a studio section with. From dealing with digital class to doing that stupid group speech, we did it all. And here we are, passing through the final review with final colors, and the time has really flown by. As some of us stay with Dave and others move to different studios, I know we're all destined for greatness. But know that you all have a dear place in my heart, and that I look forward to coming over and checking out your work next semester.

Yes, I'm at the end of the beginning.... but in the grand scheme of things, my story has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...