Thursday, July 26, 2012

deadmau5: the man behind the mau5 .

I have been a fan of Deadmau5 since I first heard one of his songs, both as an artist and as a person. I read stuff on his blog occasionally, which is always well-written, thought out, and cuts the bullshit. With Joel, there's no beating around the bush and he's not afraid to speak up and speak out if it's what he believes. Quite honestly, it's something that we should all be comfortable doing. Joel has not only changed the idea of a stereotypical DJ (by explaining that he is NOT in fact, a DJ but a producer) and pushed the limits and boundaries of electronic music. His style can go from soft and mellow to hard and driving, and still have the same sweet chord progressions and beats.


Yesterday I found an interview between Joel and Jian Ghomeshi on CBC Radio, (it played awhile back I think) and it is definitely worth listening to the entire 45 minute long conversation. Ghomeshi does a great job asking questions and really exploring Joel's personal life, musical life, goals as an artist etc. He even touches on the Madonna incident (if you can really call it that) and the presence of drugs at many electronic shows.

To some, Joel may seem opinionated and rough around the edges. But I much prefer that he just tells it like it is. He really knows what he's doing, knows his technology, appreciates his fans to no end, and creates a great show. From the merch to the music, he's involved in everything, and while he may not personally be running things, he knows exactly what's going on at all times.

It's always been a dream of mine to go to a Deadmau5 show, and a couple years ago I almost did on Halloween, but opted out because I didn't think I had the money. I regret not going, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities, I just need to find the right one and jump on it.

If you have never heard any music by Deadmau5 and you're into the electronic scene, I suggest you check his stuff out. Anything and everything is good. If you already listen but haven't looked at all into who he is as a person, I encourage you to do that as well! It's always interesting to see an artist without all the bells and whistles. They are just people like you and me, but they have an extraordinary talent for music.

Rock on, Deadmau5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...