Monday, January 23, 2012

learning, doing, teaching .

There is a funny quote from a movie called 'School of Rock' that says "Those who can't do, teach. And those who can't teach, teach gym!" I never realized that this was actually a more common saying than I originally assumed. A recent quote from Oscar Wilde said, "Everybody who is incapable of learning has taken to teaching." It's interesting to think that maybe some people just can't get themselves to pick up certain things -- so they turn to teaching others things that they already know.


I've never thought of myself as a teacher, but there has been a fair number of times when I've been able to help some people out in a tutoring sort of sense. However, I also think it's fair to say that I am quick on the uptake when it comes to most things (naturally, we're ruling out thinks like law... no pun intended). Teaching requires an exorbitant amount of patience, however, and I just don't think I'm cut out for that.

In that regard, it seems that some of us are just programmed to teach. Whether you believe in divine purpose at any length, perhaps there is some legitimacy a calling that we just don't understand. Some are meant to just be a mother. Some are just meant to go out there and change the world, one person at a time. Some are supposed to just sit at a desk, doing what they do best. And some are meant to teach.

I think there's some validity to the statement that we are all like tiny puzzle pieces on a giant board, and we just need to find our place to fit just right. I'm still trying to find my space in the bigger picture... but I'd like to think that I'm at least getting a little bit closer...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...