Monday, January 23, 2012

employed .

I have never had a job while at school before, and heck, I've never really even looked. I don't like searching for jobs, and I'm not one to pester people into giving me a job. I don't want to get hired because they are appeasing my annoyance, but rather because they want me to work for them, and they value me as a person, both in employment and life in general. That being said, I wanted to look for a job this semester, because, let's be real; after getting back from Spain AND buying a car, my funds were running a little low.


I started off at the super-convenient stuff: a lifeguard at the University's gym, and working for the Tiger Transit people or Auxiliary Student Patrol that assists the police force. You see, I'm not much of a people person; and what I mean by that is I can force myself and suffer through it but I'd much rather work somewhere behind the scenes. There's a reason I've was a park ranger for three years and then since have worked as an employee in the facilities department at Trump.

I didn't find anything good on campus. Barely anyone is hiring. One of my roommates told me about Clemson JobLink, which is run through the Michelin Career Center. This is where I got a few other ideas of on-campus jobs... but no luck in any of them. I began to broaden my search, and decided hell, I'll check out off-campus part-time jobs.

I soon began to find a few that I was very interested in -- both of which I applied to. Fast forward a few days, and I am employed for a very interesting author by the name of Carl T. Smith, headquartered in Greer, SC. We emailed back and forth, and eventually met in person. I've been hired to help market his switch from legacy publishing to e-book publishing. The field is changing, and everyone is going electronic. So I can do most of the work from my computer, and him and I can keep in close touch via phone or email.

It's truly the perfect fit for me -- flexible hours (basically, whenever I want to / am able to work on things), a great boss who is genuine and very down to Earth, and a little bit of income to help offset living expenses. He really seems like a great guy, and I'd appreciate if you guys could spread the word around a bit about this guy -- he's a suspense/mystery writer, and though I haven't read the manuscript of his next upcoming book, I am quite excited to! It's like there's not enough hours in the day to get everything done that I want to.

So here's his stuff:
www.twitter.com/carltsmith
www.carltsmith.com
He also have a fan page on Facebook here.

It's a great opportunity for me, and given my interest in writing, blogging, and even eventual authorship, I'm hoping to not only help promote Carl through various social media and blogs, but also to learn a thing or two as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...