Friday, March 1, 2013

Music First or Words First ?

It's been an awful long time since I've sat down and written some music. I had planned to get into a lot of hip hop writing and recording over this past winter break, but that didn't happen (and neither did my goal of helping out with the Hurricane Sandy cleanup effort). The other day in my occasional (and ashamedly most often more than occasional) Youtube perusal I came upon some really dope beats. This kid is a drummer first and foremost I think, but also dabbles with making instrumentals. I'm thinking, maybe it's about time that I focus some energy on music again.

But the hardest part for me is whether to write words or music first. Sometimes you really feel the music, but can't find the words. Other times, you write something amazing but can't find the music to fit it. And then you just get stuck. Like all other things though, it takes practice and determination. Ten thousand hours, even, to quote Macklemore. I'll report back if I actually getting around to making something.

1 comment:

  1. I would think writing lyrics first sounds more natural, but to be honest, I have no experience with music. I just know what I'm drawn to. Keep at it as I know it's a skill that needs attentuon or I'm sure it's fades....

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...