Sunday, April 15, 2012

hometown disappearance .

Occasionally I'll get a little bit curious about what the people I went to High School with are doing. And every time I do, and start doing some digging, I realize that I am so glad I'm no longer affiliated with these people. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the town I grew up in, and the household I grew up in. But I'm glad I didn't decide to go to Rutgers or Delaware or TCNJ or Penn State. It'd be like a continuation of high school. I find it so strange to think about the possibility of seeing a bunch of people I went to high school with at college. It'd be like I never even graduated. And I am completely aware of the fact that there would be plenty of other people at that college too, but it still wouldn't feel completely new and different. Heck, if I had wanted to, I could've totally recreated myself here at Clemson. I didn't, but the point is I could have.

I can't completely write off everyone I went to high school with because I still have some close friends back home that are always nice to see. But the thing is, there are lots of people that probably don't know where I am, what I'm doing, etc. I prefer it that way. I kind of hope that I don't run into people I know when I'm home. It's just weird. To see someone from high school and be like, hey, didn't really know you still existed...

And so in essence I've faded from one world up there, into another down here. Though next year I will be leaving the south for good. I don't think I could ever really live down here for a long period of time. It was nice for school, but it's just not the right area for me. I need to start looking at grad schools, looking for another part of the country to explore, looking for something new and different, ever staying a ghost in my own hometown.

Also, wanted to let you guys know I've been featured in this month's Third Sunday Blog Carnival, at http://thirdsundaybc.com/2012/04/15/vol-1-no-4 so feel free to check that out. They also have a Twitter account @ThirdSundayBC. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...