Saturday, April 30, 2011

summer goals .

As the summer months rapidly approach, with only finals week left to complete in school, I felt it more than appropriate to talk about what I wanted to achieve this summer.

It seems that every summer I have a sort of general list of things I want to do, people I want to see, etc. And yet somehow those things never get completed, as I fall into the monotonous routine of just being lazy, watching lots of tv, or playing on my laptop for hours on end.


However, I'm determined to make this summer sing a different sort of tune. I want to be productive, continue to get into better shape, and just make the most of all the time I've been given. How valuable it is that we have that time, time to relax and to do nothing. Perhaps for the time being we have all taken it for granted, forgetting that the time when jobs will begin to consume that relaxation of summer and last all year around.

I've always said that I liked it better in summer to have a job instead of going to school. Clearly there are benefits to both, but the thing I like most is that in the summer I work for however many hours I'm scheduled, and then I go home. It's not like school where you go to class for 4-6 hours and then come home and immediately have another 10 hours of work to do (at least, I sometimes do... in my major; I am aware that others may have it a lot easier).

But this summer, one of my biggest things is to stay in shape. I'm hunting around for a gym to join, unless I can convince my parents to get some weights. I'd love to get a heavy bag to just take things out on when I get pissed. (Great exercise too). I'm also trying to get my hands on a road bike so I can start some serious riding. After riding around Clemson and at Issaqueena, and riding with a friend who races, I realize I could be in much better cycling shape. So I plan to work on that.

On that note, I also want to explore the trails around where I live more. There are tons of parks, both county and national, that have some great trails out there, and I definitely wanna check it out. I visited Clayton Park last summer, which was wicked good.

I want to get to the beach more -- not necessarily in the middle of the day, but more so the walks I used to take at night. Those were really good, and just a great time to think while listening to the waves, feeling the breeze on your face, and squishing your feet in the sand. It's a heavenly and serene experience. I also like going in the morning, and since I'll most likely be working really early hours again, it shouldn't be too hard to get up at 430 or 5 to get down and ride on the boardwalk as the sun comes up -- I only got down there once or twice last year, but it was awesome.

I also want to immerse myself in my music -- keep on recording, and writing, improve my singing voice, maybe try some new things, and even work on some stuff with my brother.

The last thing I have is to really connect with people I've lost connection with at home, in addition to staying connected to the friends I have from school. It seems that when summer comes everyone just up and leaves and then it's like the time during summer is spent in an entirely different world. But there's no reason why we can't or shouldn't talk to each other while we are not in school, right? So that's about it.

Ps, I'm gonna take a short hiatus on lyric of the days until I get caught up again on blogs, because they're technically not being written the day of, hence making it harder to pick a lyric that will match. So I don't know if you like that or not or care, but I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...