Saturday, April 2, 2011

this is how I write .

When I first started blogging, everything would flow out no problem. Sure, the thoughts might be jumbled, but that happens sometimes. It was all more or less in stream of consciousness. And maybe it's that now I just get more distracted more easily. Or that I'm just easily distracted in general, which is certainly a possibility. But over time I've sort of fallen into the habit of writing a bit on a topic, and then just switching and doing something else and sort of mulling over it while I do that other thing.



I used to write tons, but those ideas are now a bit more condensed. I always felt with Youtube videos that anything over 3 minutes could just get boring and people would lose interest. Is it the same way with writing? When you open up the page after clicking "read more," are you on the edge of your seat waiting for a novel to appear? Or are you secretly hoping it won't be much.

In the beginning blogging was a hobby. And it still is. And I very much like it; it's a nice break to any part of any day. And yeah, sometimes I get behind. It's a fact of life that there will always be things that you can't finish -- time just doesn't allow it, and life doesn't allow it either. There are tons of times when I think to myself, oh, if only I could pause time. I could waste as much as I wanted and then start it again when I was ready to work. I just hope that blogging never turns into something that feels like a chore.

Another thing that greatly influences what and how I write about is the music. By now I'm sure it's obvious that music has been, still is, and probably will always be a large part of my life. But part of the way I write is that I need the music there to write to. It's the rhythm, it's the feel -- it's the soul behind it. And when I say that those sounds help me to write the words that come out, I mean it. I pick a topic, and the next thing I do before I sit down and write is pick the music. It's better to write alone, but there are times when I've done it in studio, or sitting somewhere with other people there. The neat thing about that is that when you put in your headphones, the world keeps going -- and yet you've managed to stop for a moment.

Sometimes the things that come out surprise me. But in the end, they're just words on a page. I occasionally take a glance through other blogs by hitting the "next blog" button at the top of the browser. I'll skim through them, but sometimes I'll just keep hitting next without really reading anything. It's just insane that there are so many people out there that do this just like me, and yet you can bypass their thoughts and hearts in a single click, like they don't even exist. I wonder sometimes if people ever pass over mine like that. As far as I know, it's not really well known enough for that to happen, but it sure could.

And of course, my thoughts get scattered. But when you're writing something every day, or at least you should be, sometimes that's the best way to do it. I'll be able to go back to these later and reread them -- maybe learn something, remember something. Anything. But there will be no filter. There's no screen, there's no door locking me out. Or anyone else, for that matter.

It takes me awhile to get this stuff down. It's like driving through a traffic jam in your mind. You're trying to find the right words to say and once in awhile it'll just hit you perfectly -- but other times you struggle and all you can think about is the blinking cursor a space away from a period.

Thinking of ideas to blog about even takes awhile sometimes. I'm usually open to suggestions, so if you ever want my thoughts on something, just hit me with it. That's why usually if something comes to mind, I write it down right then and there so I can remember it later. It's hard to plan for inspiration, it just sorta happens. It's one of the things that makes writing daily difficult. But I still try.

And I certainly don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

In case you were wondering about the "Making of" video... here it is..


Lyric of the day:
"if I reached for your hand, would your eyes get wide"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...