Tuesday, July 26, 2011

another quote .

Oscar Wilde once said "A man who does not think for himself does not think at all." These quotes have quickly gone from slight entertainment to lifelong lessons and tidbits of wisdom. I've always been big on independence, and not only getting away from home as soon as possible to become fully independent, but on staying true to who you are and everything that makes up that indescribable combination that is, put simply, you.


I think being yourself can get you far -- I for one can't stand the fakes and the phonies. And the sad thing is you can pick 'em out no problem. It's like a banana in a crowd of apples. And yes, I used a fruit example.

Although I also think a good part of being independent and true to who you are necessitates finding out and discovering who you are. Some people haven't gotten that far yet. Some people spend years looking for themselves. Some never even find it, after all that time. I've been lucky enough to sort of figure out who I am and at the very least, who I want to be. But that's not to say that there is a lot left to discover. Think other people are confusing? Take a moment and look at yourself. Especially from other people's shoes...

I swear if I was trying to read me through someone else's eyes I'm not sure I would know what to think. People in general are too complex.

*     *     *

Now this is going to take a severe turn in a different direction so just bear with me. I realized often times I end up telling people what to do in these blogs. Suggestions, or lectures, whatever you want to call them. Put simply, that ain't right, son. Who am I to tell people what to do and how to act? Perhaps it is good advice, something like wearing a seatbelt (stupid example, but you get the idea). Even so. That shit's in the hands of each and every one's self.

Not to mention there is the ever-present problem of hypocrisy. If I'm not "practicing what I preach" then there is really no justification in preaching it.... right? But that's really just my two cents on the matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...