Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Barcelona: Day 71 : Quotables (yet another one) .

Edwin Abbott once said "To live was then in itself a delight, because living implied seeing." Although all of us are aware of the fact that blindness exists, very rarely does it cross our minds; or at least mine, anyway. I don't think about it unless I see someone with those huge sunglasses, or with a helping dog, or with the long stick they use to feel their way around. We take the sights we see everyday for granted.


Having been in Europe for the past few months, I've seen some of the beautiful places in the world, and it seems like the Heavens part and perfection shines down in those moments. After visiting Dublin, this fact was even further solidified, especially with things like the clouds parting and the sun coming out along with a rainbow while we were on top of a mountain. Honestly, what are the odds?

I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to see. Clothes wouldn't matter, so long as I was wearing them. My mouth wouldn't be able to water at the sight of the artfully prepared meals on the menu. I wouldn't be able to even be doing architecture right now, not even a chance. Heck, I wouldn't have a driver's license, and I probably wouldn't even be in Europe. Can you imagine how hard it would be to have to deal with a disability like this?

As technology improves, one day blindness will be completely curable, and if I'm not mistaken, some people have already been able to see digital images of black and white after being blind. I'll be honest, I don't have any facts to back that up; I just seem to remember seeing it somewhere.

But this blindness is only one kind. What about the blindness that can take control of anybody? You know what I'm talking about -- the blindness to world problems, to bullying and violence, to personal issues and struggles, to unhealthy relationships. We can be blinded and blindsided by anything at any time. And sometimes you realize it; other times you don't. Sometimes it takes someone to smack you in the face and shake the sense into you.
In all seriousness though, it's the things that we don't see that I think can hurt and affect us the most. And some we may not even notice until it's too late.

Okay, I've diverged from the quote quite a bit here, but if that's how it goes, no worries. The quotes are simply a jumping-off point. Seeing is a beautiful thing -- blindness is never easy, but fingers crossed, one day all those who are blind will be blessed with the gift of sight, and truly have the experience and delight of living to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...