Friday, December 30, 2011

winter sunsets .

I honestly have no idea what to write about, so the first thing that popped into my head were these sunsets. There are a few things I love about winter. For whatever reason, every day that it's sunny, the sunset is gorgeous. It's perfect, and every time it's a little bit different. Sometimes there is a smooth orange glow, and other times it's a vibrant blood red. But something about the cold crisp winter weather brings that out. The other thing is just how cold and quiet the night is. There is this magic silence about it. Another thing? You can always see Orion, in particular Orion's Belt in the night sky. I've never been able to find it in the summer -- it simply isn't visible, at least where I live.


Many a night, walking back from studio, the night having been a rich blue-black for hours already, I would spot those 3 bright lights in a second. I don't really know any other constellations other than the dippers (which I can never seem to locate..) but this one sticks out to me all the time. It's like a warrior in the sky; something so close yet so unattainable.

The sunsets are the juxtaposition to this incredible night sky. The rays that poke over the horizon as the sun goes down, tailing behind the sun itself like a lizard in the sand. They creep away, reluctantly relinquishing each inch to the darkness. The moon has already poked it's face out into the sky, and shines far before the sun has completely been eclipsed by the horizon.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for that beauty, the silence, the stillness, and the wonder it produces in me. How could there not be a divine being of some sort? Surely these things are the work of a master. I once read this book called Many Lives, Many Masters. While its ideologies don't exactly line up with those of Christianity and Catholicism, it showed this group of masters as a set of divine beings who were capable of anything and everything. Such a team could surely create something this beautiful.

But for now, I'm less concerned with the how and the why, and I'm quite content to simply let myself soak it in, take a deep breath, and sigh a big sigh. For the world is a beautiful place, and I am blessed to be able to witness it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...