Thursday, February 9, 2012

Singles Awareness Day .

As the holiday of Valentine's Day fast approaches, many begin to wallow in the fact that they are still single and will never find the perfect person to spend their life with. It seems to be a constant reminder that if you are single, you still haven't found what you are looking for. Personally, I have no issue with it; if I have a significant somebody, that's great, and if not, I'm not really too concerned. In fact I think all of the TV ads around Christmas and Thanksgiving bother me much more than marketing and advertising for Valentine's Day. Is the hate really warranted? What's so terrible about your current life?


In a devotional I recently read the author of the reflection had "humourously renamed the love-celebrating holiday Singles Awareness Day." Being single is not all that bad! You'd be amazed at the possibilities that you have and opportunities that you have -- that simply go away when you get married or have a special someone.

This is kind of funny to quote the Bible on this, but there actually is an appropriate verse:
"So I say to those who aren't married and to widows -- it' better to stay unmarried, just as I am."
1 Corinthians 7:8

When you're single, you can go where you want when you want. You can travel all over and not have to worry about planning things with a spouse or dragging the kids along. Your money is yours and you spend it on what you want, in addition to the bills that only you have -- no worrying about the DVR your wife insisted on getting because she needed to be able to watch her shows. You are simply free to follow your own passions and desires.

This is not to say that being in a relationship or having a spouse is a bad thing, and neither is having kids. They are all very rewarding and can be literally the best experience of a person's life. But for some people I think that staying single will also be incredibly rewarding. It has no doubt crossed my mind as a possibility for the future of life (though admittedly I don't know what is in the grand master plan; if the right person comes along, then they come along).

So this Valentine's Day, if you're down on yourself for not having someone there with you, remember that you are not alone -- there are thousands of other singles out there too. And you have every reason to celebrate being single!

1 comment:

  1. I see V'day as a day to remind people to show love to those they care for: friend, lover, brother, mother,teacher,preacher etc... It is (or should be) a pleasant reminder or excuse to shower extra doses of love to others not an obligation...
    And I agree with you about being happy in the season in life one has been placed in. I have often read that passage written by Paul advising each person to be happy in their circumstance and I think its great advice :-)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...