Tuesday, January 11, 2011

_____________ .

So, I went through this whole day and I honestly don't have a clue what to write about. It's real late at night and so I guess all I'm going to do is basically write and see what comes about.

In middle school we used to do this exercise where you had to write nonstop. Even if you finished your thought, there was an assigned amount of time that you had to fill up with writing. And you could literally write "blah blah blah" over and over until you felt like writing something else.


I usually try to come up with some sort of topic to write about, to keep things interesting. I like to use the blog as a way to sort of reminisce about something that inspires me, and I would love to see more people who read it interact with. But, as a great band once said, you can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need.

Sometimes though, your mind just draws a blank. I keep a list of things that I can write about if there's nothing inspiring during the day that slaps me in the face like a cream pie. But sometimes I just don't feel writing about those particular topics. Other times I am worried about what people might think and who I would affect if I wrote about a particular thing -- which in retrospect is silly, given most people wouldn't care, and after all, it's my blog, I suppose I can do what I want with it (not to sound like a jerk). I feel like I also sort of have this length requirement subliminally engraved in my head, like since I normally write a fair amount that I should have to write a lot. This is kinda weird, admittedly, because there really is no such thing for a blog. In fact, the hardest writing assignments that I've had to do are the shorter ones -- I tend to have a lot to say and a very drawn out way of saying it. Thus, when forced to be concise and cut straight to the point, I struggle. I enjoy being fluffy and include more than the meat and potatoes in my writing.

Who knows, maybe I should just write like this all the time -- sort of stream of consciousness. Maybe I'll try it for awhile and see how I feel about it. I just don't want it to seem like a journal-y documentation of my life -- if I wanted that I would've said so from the beginning and simply narrated my life instead of reflecting on various aspects of it. Thoughts on all of this? Would love to hear 'em. Of course, I don't really expect any reply. They tend to come few and far between.

I think this is the fastest I've ever written anything down. One post usually takes me upwards of an hour.

Ever have a specific type of music you like to listen to while you do certain things? It's like having a soundtrack to your life. I totally do that. For example, working out tends to have really heavy stuff, whether it be intense rap or some heavy metal stuff. It just gets me in the zone. When I blog I like to listen to softer stuff -- maybe Dan Gibson, Owl City, or some of Adam Young's other side projects; I actually have a playlist with all of them put together.

Though it's funny because no matter what I listen to while going to sleep, I never have any problem sleeping. I sometimes wonder if my dreams that night are affected by the type of music that I listen to before going to sleep. Lately I've been having a reoccurring dream of a certain someone that I dearly miss... Currently I have the dubstep vibrating my eardrums, but I'm kinda diggin' it despite the fact it's on the whole not something I would listen to while trying to concentrate on writing.

Then there's weird sayings like that in speech. I just wrote "vibrating my eardums." Strange, given that I could totally just have said "I'm listening to it." I guess sometimes that can make you sound more eloquent, but I would imagine that sometimes when I try to be eloquent it turns out just plain stupid. I really appreciate good writing, but in the same way that I can appreciate good architecture and have a terrible time trying to imagine it and design it, it is sometimes hard to come up with good writing. Or at least, what I consider "good" in my mind. I'm completely skewed on this subject.

My retainers really hurt. That certainly makes it harder to go to sleep... It's definitely getting late and I should probably let myself drift off to dreamland and let myself be swept away by the REM cycles that make my eyes dance chaotically. Goodnight friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...