Saturday, January 1, 2011

transitions .

So first off I'd just like to say, I officially started a second blog, as per the "picture a day" idea. This will be updated daily just the same as this one so you are welcome to follow that as well. The link for that is posted right here , so you're welcome to click on that and check it out and follow it if you wish. Also I discovered a feature where every time I post a new blog it can be emailed to you so you don't even have to come and check if it's here or not, and thus if you would like that to happen for either blog, or perhaps both, just send me an email.

And now on to what I really want to talk about.

Change and transition is an interesting concept that can provoke a great many emotions in people. Sometimes people really like it, and other times they hate it, some are apathetic and indifferent and others care quite a bit. The word 'change' most likely makes you think, at one point in your thought process or another, towards current President Obama. Whether you are a fan or not (I happen to be indifferent and pretty much hate discussing politics in any way shape or form) I think it's safe to say that his promise of change really struck a chord with the public, and that one simple word was certainly one of the cornerstones of his policy.



Whether you like change or not seems to be sort of in your wiring as a person, and I'll bet if you asked no one could really tell you why they're like that -- either they like it or don't, and that's just the way it is. Personally, I can't stand to be in one place at one point in my life for too long. i need something to mix things up, something to "add some spice" if you will.

It's one of the reasons why I went to college far away one home, one of the reasons why a far location was a requirement for the school that I went to. It's one of the reasons why I go to different people's houses for various holidays, and why I am always trying to do something different with my hair or with my life. For whatever reason I am just not satisfied being in one place for a super extended period of time. However this personality trait conflicts with some of the other goals that I have in my life.

Being a free spirit, it's pretty intuitive to know that I love to travel. Seeing the new places, experiencing new food, different people, and just a different life in general is awesome. Taking a trip through the Mediterranean coast when I was younger a few years back was one of the most meaningful and life changing experiences of my life. When people ask me if I'm planning on staying at Clemson for the 2 years of graduate school that is pretty much imperative that I take in orderly to become properly licensed as an architect, I can confidently say, absolutely not. I'm sure that after 4 years at one school, I'll be ready for a change. It's one of the reasons that I pursued architecture as a career, because although your process may be the same, there is always some sort of new project that you can work on (economy permitting of course).

I'd love to be able to travel the world, and to explore different parts of it, whether it be on a snowboard or just walking around. Another goal is to eventually take a trip around the states, and really explore the heart of the country that I live in. Get on a motorcycle, leave the phone and GPS at home, and just ride where the road takes me. Meet new people and take everything as it comes and goes. It brings a whole new meaning to living in the present, and the mystery of where you'll be by the end of the day is really inspiring.

However, that sort of thing can't really happen if I want to have a family. I refuse to be a father that's never there for my children. And it wouldn't be fair to my future wife either. Hopefully my future wife will share some of these same desires and perhaps will join me in my pursuit. At some point of course, I'm sure I'll be all pooped out of traveling, and will simply want to settle down and just enjoy life, enjoy my family, a family I can entirely call my own, and live out a long and successful life. Life isn't always perfect, but we can sure hope and dream, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

And so as I approach my return to the Clemson area, or at least the departure from a place I once called home, I ready myself for another transition back into school. Back into the events that happen around Clemson, back into the lives of my friends, and back into my life in the south. I'm looking forward to going back. I figured that at the end of 3 weeks at home I'd be sick of it, and I was right. I'll do my best to make the most of my time here in Jersey, and come Tuesday, it's back on the plane to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...