Tuesday, January 25, 2011

procrastination .

Okay, well I really should be working on my studio project. I have an interim review on Friday, and we have a lot of stuff to get done. Hopefully if I am productive tonight I won't have that much left to do for Friday. I got quite a few hours before it's even midnight, and yet here I am of course, putting it off more and despite the fact I've been sitting in Lee Hall for half an hour, I have yet to start anything. I don't think I'll ever fully understand why it is so hard.

And thus, my procrastination morphed into a decision to post a blog. However, then there was the problem of what to post about. I looked at my list of things on my sticky notes of what I should write about and nothing really jumped out at me. And so I'm probably going to just go on and ramble about things.


Tuesdays and Thursdays are always hard to get going. I have classes straight from 8 in the morning until 1230, which, granted is lunchtime, but it still is rough switching back and forth from getting up at 9 or 10 to getting up at 7. And then of course there is the sinking feeling of knowledge that I am going to be in studio pretty much all night -- and for some reason it is believable that if I spend time just sitting here, things will eventually happen by themselves. Keep dreaming, Greg.

The weirdest part is that I actually am mildly interested in the project that we're working on. Site planning may not be the most exciting part of architecture, but it's cool to analyze something to the depth that we are and be able to discuss it with one of your peers. But there are so many things to worry about that it could make you sick. Making the site plan itself is hard, and hard is a vast understatement. There are so many details to have involved and included in the plan... Luckily I don't have the insane psycho teacher that wants even the cracks in the sidewalks to be shown.

I couldn't tell you why I'm so unmotivated. Talking about architecture and exploring new possibilities certainly inspires me and gets me excited. The thought of being able to design something new and cool, regardless of whether or not it's my own home, is pretty awesome as well. You can blame it all on lack of sleep, but in the end I just need a good kick in the butt to get moving. Maybe it's 'cause I didn't run today.

Oh well. Despite the rain, which ruined my longboarding to and from class (with the exception of the 8am) I've been pretty productive regarding the Central Spirit website that I have to take care of. I did a lot of work between last night and today for the site along with the help of the mastermind who designed it. Not to mention hung out with my advisor and had a really nice time doing that. (hiiiiii Cameron)

It's just like everytime I tell myself I'm going to begin, I stay focused for about 5 min and then find something stupid to do. Bubble spinner has been the latest addiction. Correction, bubble spinner 2. Then there's email, twitter, youtube, other blogs, music, today's big thing, stumble upon.... shall I continue? I must have the weakest attention span ever.

I have to say though, the walk over to Lee (walked because of the stupid rain, so I couldn't ride my bike or board over... I've already taken spills in the rain, and it's no fun) was pretty good. Unfortunately my iPod was dead, but perhaps that was a blessing in the disguise. Sometimes silence is good. And on that note, I'm going to do my best to work on this project and actually get a significant number of things done tonight and hopefully retire to my sheets at a decent hour. 3am sounds like a good goal.

Oh, and I think I'm getting an ear pierced. Something I said I'd never do, but I mean oh well. Worst case scenario, I can just take it out.

And now I'm going to start working.

Seriously. Okayyy.... work, work, work-- ooooh new youtube video up! -- oh wait...

Lyric of the day:
"the years go by and time just seems to fly, but the memories remain"

2 comments:

  1. hiiiiii Greg.

    see you tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess procrastination makes sense for me - for the classes I wasn't interested in but had to take, like physics and the ones maybe I was interested in at a high level, but they were so difficult I didn't want to go through the enormous mental effort of figuring them out. And then assignments like programming and computer-science-related math problems always turned out to take way longer than you planned or hoped.

    Memories of those struggles, in comparison to my life routine now, are the strongest impetus currently convincing me that I never want to go back to school (and keeping me impressed by friends and people I know who submatriculated into masters' programs or are doing 10 more years of school for medical professions).

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...