Thursday, June 23, 2011

the storm connection pt1 .

Today was one of those days. The days where the sky was dark, the wind was gusty, and the rain came down in sheets. It was a storm. A thunderstorm, and a hell of a big one at that. I have said it before and I will say it again, I will always be in awe of the power that nature has sometimes. There were warnings of a tornado touching down, and warnings of severe wind and accidents galore flooded the radio waves.


It reminded me of a few years ago, when I was driving home with my father from a golf vacation in Virginia. I was at the wheel, cruising along at 70mph or so on Interstate 95, when the sky turned a jet black. In a matter of minutes, it seemed like it was the middle of the night, despite the fact that it was about 3 in the afternoon. The thunder rumbled. In the distance, lightning illuminated the sky, almost blinding me from the shock of the bright flashes.

Then came the rain. It seemed as if it started in about 10 seconds. We went from cruising along at 70 to crawling at about 25. I couldn't believe it. 25mph on an interstate that is normally roaring with traffic, with everyone going 70, 80, even 90. It was truly unbelievable. And the weather took control -- The rain came down so hard that it wasn't even possible to see. You literally had to drive that slow in order to even enable to wipers to keep up with the impenetrable blanket of the rain. Cars were driving with their hazards on, and the dead space under bridges began to fill with those not wishing to risk continuation of their journeys.

It was a storm like no other I have ever experience. And today, i got a quick taste of it, just driving home from work. Walking out the door of Trump, I began to feel a few sprinkles -- expecting the worst, I literally dropped into a sprint towards the car, towards my usual far-away-from-the-building parking spot. By the time I reached the car, the sprinkle had turned into a downpour. It's amazing how that stuff happens.

And I drove home with the headlights on the wipers on full blast.

Yet through it all, I love the storms. Love the power, the lightning, the thunder, the sound of the rain, I love it all. It's incredible to watch and to listen to -- so long as you're not in the middle of the danger.

1 comment:

  1. Agreeeed! Power outages and tornado damage suck, but regular old thunderstorms are one of my favorite things about living in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...