Friday, May 10, 2013

Family Dinner .

A few years ago the guys and I used to do family dinner on Friday nights. It wasn't family in the sense of our siblings and parents and grandparents showing up, but rather some close friends and great conversation. We'd invite them over to our apartment, and make something pretty simple. In many ways it was less about the food and more about the company. I mean let's be honest someone can only have lasagna so many times before they get sick of it...

Now I realize that that family was even more than that, and really encompassed the entirety of campus, and all its students; in fact, the Clemson Family. I love the quote that President Jim Barker relayed to my Presidential Seminar class, that 'I go to a small school, with thousands of other people.' It's the essence of what Clemson is all about.

Today my family rolled into town, here for graduation, and we had a real family dinner together at my house. I offered to cook since they would be driving all day, and let's be honest; they'll be spending enough money on gas and eating out and all the other things that go hand in hand with a big trip.

Strange as it is to have my family in my home away from home, it was kinda nice. To be able to go out and chat on the dock as the water gently lapped its edges, to have people to sit around the dining table with and say a prayer before our meal, to have folks to laugh and joke with, and show off my college life to.

I wish my brother was here, but he's starting finals tomorrow, and I wish him the best of luck. I have no doubt he'll be able to be there for the graduation of my Master's (but let's not rush things!). Plus as it turns out I'll see him on the way up too! Good deal. Tomorrow I'll be a college grad!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like this was a wonderful moment Greg. It's always nice having everyone together like that.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...