Monday, May 28, 2012

categorical blogs

There are tons of blogs out there. Absolutely tons! Though for me, it's always difficult to find ones that I really enjoy and really want to read. I was so excited when I found the Google Blog search because then I could find some stuff I was really looking for instead of 8000 fashion blogs (not that I have anything against that, I just am not interested).

Most people who have a very successful blog keep it to one topic, one general area. In a lot of cases, that works really well -- like if you have a company, or you're really interested in one thing (like fashion), or you are very into one hobby (photography blogs out the wazoooo). I've also seen lots of "Hi, we're this couple, and this our story together blogs", or family blogs that will probably somewhat replace family videos or photo albums, or Mom blogs that give them a chance to just talk and breathe easy for a second and take a break from the kids. There are also those that focus just on traveling, or just on technology, or do reviews. But all of those are so stuck within their limits.


When people ask me what my blog is about, I have no idea what to tell them. It's kind of a bit of everything. I've posted pictures, videos, songs, I write about every and any topic; there's no real rhyme or rhythm to it other than the fact that it's whatever I felt like writing about that day. The only thing that is regular is the Music Mondays and I sometimes don't even post those on Monday (mainly because I am a giant slacker).

I even had trouble picking the keywords for my blog on bloggers.com just because I wasn't sure what type of blog mine was. I went with 'lifestyle' because I guess that's sort of what it is? They couldn't click anything like 'thoughts on life' or 'internal commentary.' I guess that's what I could put it into?

I like changes. I don't like doing the same thing all the time, or reading the same thing all the time, or watching the same thing all the time. It's nice to have variety, and especially nice to get a nice variety of angles on a blogger's life (i.e., it's cool to read all the different stories you have in various places at various times that you guys have).

Sometimes I go through phases. There was a time I spent loads of time on YouTube, and now I just wait for the email to bring me some videos and I watch them at my leisure. There are also accounts I'm still subbed to that I just don't really care about anymore. I've just lost interest. Maybe it's a need to be more or less instantly entertained. I don't want to watch a 12 minute video about your trip to the grocery and all the stupid shit you did there. You know?

So basically, here's where I'm going with this. All the forums and blogs that already exist say that if you want your blog to be successful, pick a category or topic and stick with it. I'm here to say, fuck that. Write what you want to, and instead of having views that are anonymous; get a chance to meet people, make friends, and enjoy your writing. That's the most success you could ever have.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I've struggled with the 'topic' too, I love photography, but feel the photos need to go with text, then I do love traveling, but 4 times a year just isn't enough for ongoing blog... And I'm into creative writing... So I've merged these three into one... I admit my blog isn't to everyone's taste, but most importantly I enjoy it! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's never a bad thing to be interested in lots of stuff. What's the link to your blog? When I click on your profile it always goes straight to google plus and I can't find it anywhere

      Delete
  2. :) http://hannah-denski.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...