Friday, May 18, 2012

love thy neighbor as you love yourself .

Yesterday in one of the devotionals that I get emailed to me, I found that this quote in the reflection stood out to me: "Every situation is different, but when we don't know what to do, it's always safe to follow the rule of love. The rule of love goes like this: Do whatever allows you to show love in that situation." It also mentioned the popular Biblical quote of "loving thy neighbor as you love yourself" (aka the Golden Rule) but I think I like this manifestation a bit better.


It reminds of me of something I once read that challenged the reader to figure out what drove them in life, love or fear?  But if we use love as the driving force, and "Do whatever allows us to show love in that situation," then there is no question of what to do. There is no question of how to live life. Maybe the answer is and has always been to live to love, live in love, and love to live.

I have always stood by the idea that life is incredibly complex. But in reality maybe that's not really the answer, and in fact it's quite simple. The Bible often seems to simplify things, make it sound easy to live a life that is one that righteous and spiritual.

Makes me wonder if we all need to take a moment and refocus ourselves every so often. Short post, I know, but gets the point across.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I agree, it's all about learning to (and then remembering to) live to love, live in love, and love to live.

    I know I definitely need to refocus quite often. Sometimes it's tough to remember what's truly important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, beautiful post. I asked the musical question once, is it really so simple that all I have to do is Love? The answer is yes, that really is all there is to it. So why do we need to be reminded so often? How can it be so hard to remember something so simple? I guess it's just part of being human. Fortunately we have the ability to remind each other as you have done with this post. Thank you so much.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...