Thursday, May 17, 2012

the wicklow way .

One of the places I went while I was in Ireland was Glendalough, home of Wicklow Mountains National Park. It is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been in my life. Prior to going, I had read about a trail that exists in Ireland called the Wicklow Way. It is a hiking trail that takes you through the secluded countryside, and can be done pretty leisurely over about a week. There are a multitude of bed and breakfasts along the way that you could stay at. Ever since I was there I've wanted to go back and walk the Wicklow Way. I guess a more challenging yet reasonable idea would be to hike (part of) the Appalachian Trail, but I think this one would be something exotic and beautiful at the same time.


I know a couple buddies and I are planning on a trip somewhere post-graduation next Spring. I'm not sure what's happening with that, and we haven't even talked about where we would want to go. But we've mentioned that it would be cool to just pick a place to visit each year and go there all together. Just meet up from where we happened to be that year. It'd be a way to stay in contact with some other guys. I'm wondering if this first trip (the one happening more or less immediately after graduation) could be doing the Wicklow Way.

Image Credit
However, I could also see this as something that I do all by myself. Something that allows me to sort of be lost in nature and just enjoy the things I see, writing and photographing and documenting. In the future, one day, I would love to do the Appalachian Trail. 2,181 miles through the mountains, through a great many states up the east coast. Gosh, that would be something else.

I guess my question to you guys is for those of you who have already finished with school entirely, did you do anything special to celebrate? Where did you go and what did you do? Sort of fishing for ideas here.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really cool idea.

    When I finished University I moved home and started working, which was not really much of a celebration. I worked for a year and a half and then I moved to Kelowna, BC, though... which is pretty cool. I think it's best to use the time when you're young, not married and mortgage-less to move around. That's my plan, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah starting work immediately isn't exactly living the dream -- but I would take that now especially given the economy! BC is a beautiful place from what I've heard; I really want to get out there to get onto the DH mountain biking circuit as well as the opportunity to get on the slopes on my board.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...