Tuesday, May 8, 2012

getting home .

Hello all, I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, because, well I was absolutely exhausted and probably wouldn't have been able to get my mind to form complete sentences anyways. Anyways, in regards to the trip -- I started at midnight. On the dot, actually. Got in my car, and looked down and it was exactly midnight. Called to let the parents know I was leaving, and I was on my way.

I sort of allotted myself the whole day to get home if I needed it. It all depended on how much sleep I needed and how many breaks I needed to take. Every time you get gas is already sort of a break (since I have to fill up 4 times to make it home...sad I know) and every time you eat is one (which was only really once for me; I ate at Waffle House in Staunton I think, and just survived on granola bars the rest of the way). I made it home at 3pm later in the day. I hadn't really left Clemson 'til around 12:40am, so that's about right time-wise.


That's the first time I've ever done that drive all in one shot on my own. I must say, being on the road during the hours of 1 and 6am is pure serenity. I don't think I ever saw more than 3 other sets of headlights at the same time as my own. I made incredible time. I ended up taking a nap around 7am and when I awoke there was so much more traffic on the road; it was annoying. Unfortunately it was still dark out when I was going through the mountains of Virginia up I-81, but there was something sorta special about that. You could see the headlights floating in the distance and it was like every twist and turn was a surprise. You never quite knew which way you were going to head.

There was also quite a bit of fog up there. I love the way fog looks in headlights; is that weird? It's like you're swimming through patches of smoke or something.
The drive went really smooth. I didn't get lost, I didn't have any car trouble, my bikes stayed firm and solid on the new hitch rack I bought to cart them home, I didn't get too sleepy, and when I did I stopped for a nap... I mean, really, it went really well.

That's not to say I wasn't exhausted when I got home. I'm probably still catching up on sleep missed... I did sleep beforehand, so I don't think that was really a problem as much, but I dunno driving just makes you tired. I still love the idea that I'm going someplace though. Also, by the time I was in Pennsylvania, I was pretty fueled to get home, and I think that the adrenaline sorta carried me through.

Crossing the bridge (the Delaware River Turnpike Toll Bridge) back into Jersey was a great feeling. Knowing that I was back in my home state.
Clearly some pictures do it much more justice than it's probably worth. My view looked more like just a regular during-the-day view, and from then on I knew pretty much where I was. The traffic patterns change, the drivers most certainly change, and I was all ready to just get home.

The night finished with dinner out at Outback -- one of my favorite restaurants. And after a day of driving through about 5 or 6 states, who could refuse a steak dinner?

Not too shabby I think. I'm glad I made it home safe and sound, and that it didn't take all day. Certainly will make the trip back down in August much easier knowing that I can definitely do it. Thanks for all the prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...