Monday, June 11, 2012

california v. new york

I've been working my way through Steve Jobs's biography lately, and it's a really awesome book. I'm probably about 3/4 of the way through. Often times there is the comparison made between the people on the west coast and the east coast. In particular, these comparisons resonate frequently about New York (more specifically New York City and all that that entails) and California.

Throughout the book, it appears that these two areas had greatly opposing views. West-coasters seemed to be viewed as more open-minded, whereas the east-coasters were all business, simply in it to make quick cash and a profit. Steve Jobs constantly blasts the New Yorkers, saying that they just "don't get it" and that they're complete idiots. Of course, Steve Jobs was a bit of a loose cannon, so I'm not saying he's entirely right, or even partially right.


Now, I'm not sure that those views still exist. But I do think that there are some serious differences between the west coast and the east coast. I can't say things with 100% validity regarding the west coast, because I haven't lived there. I have been there, even to California, but only taking a trip there is not enough to back up "evidence." Hell, I haven't even lived in New York. I usually tell people I'm either in the Jersey Shore area, or if they're unfamiliar with the country, that I'm near New York City. But believe me, I'm no New Yorker.

I find it very interesting that different parts of the country breed such different types of thinking. From what I've seen, kids who grew up in the Northeast are very independent. We were taught to fight for what we wanted, because it wasn't going to be handed to us. Kids in the south are tightly knit with their families, and want to stay close to home. Generally they seem not be very well-traveled because they don't want to leave that close-knit feeling behind.

Everyone's different, and just because these are the things I've noticed doesn't mean that it's true about everyone that comes from a specific area mentioned. But throughout the biography (of Steve Jobs, in case you forgot, because that was several paragraphs above...) there are many things that make you think about more than brilliance, innovation, and Apple. It's a very good read; I highly recommend picking it up.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, have you seen the Steve Jobs biography document on TV... I have missed it, though I've heard it's very good, so perhaps will try to track it down on internet...

    I work in marketing, only as a secretary, but get to see what's going on... and how the marketeers rely on consumer research per individual country and regions... how the consumer's behaviour, needs and cultural differences change across different regions... same applies for Slovakia - now this is very small country, compared with UK, let alone US, yet people from Eastern part are totally different to those in West, South or North...

    And it's most likely going back to our past, where we came from, as far as our ancestors, before they settled in the given region... which I'm sure plays large part in shaping who we are today...

    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it, but if you find it let me know! Marketing is very interesting for me. I don't think I could ever pursue it as a career, but it is neat to see how they work and what they do.

      You're probably right about where the differences come from! The people who initially took the step west into the new frontier were those open to change and differences, looking for something new and fresh. Which could eventually lead to an innovative spirit.

      Delete

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...