When people enter relationships, or even before that, there are some things you can usually tell right off the bat. It's easy to tell when someone is willing to go above and beyond just to put a smile on your face. I call these, 'the little things'. These are the things that you don't expect, the things that catch you off guard, the things that make you instantly grin ear to ear, the things that pop into your head over and over throughout the day and make you think 'I can't believe they are so thoughtful that...'.
I think it's safe to say that in any sort of relationship (friendship, love, marriage etc.) these little things make all the difference! Obviously it's a different set of things in a friendship than in a relationship. But here are just a few things that I've had happen in the past that make all the difference for me:
- When someone texts you goodnight and good morning almost every day, whether you guys were chatting or not.
- When someone calls me "sweetheart." I swear, I melt.
- When you're walking along with you're significant other and they just slide their hand into yours and squeeze it tight, and you just know that they'll never let go.
- When someone comes up from behind you and hugs you; it's totally unexpected.
- When someone always asks how you're doing, and genuinely wants to know and listen to you.
- When someone gives you a little rub on the back when you're having a bad day, and you know it can only go up from there.
- Any sort of unexpected email, text, letter or postcard.
You see, it's the kind of things like these that make you realize how much they like you and how much they are willing to sacrifice for you. It's really awesome to know that, and it's just as nice to return the favor as well! People who make an effort just for you are great people, and we should always remember that those are the people we should really hold onto in life.
Think about just people on Blogger alone. How many have you met on here that have become almost instant close friends? They become your support net, your listeners, your advice-givers, your friends. I've sent emails, posted comments, even corresponded through the post and text message with a few. This is a great place and we're all one big family. Let's never forget the little things, and remember the thank-yous for those who go out of their way!