Thursday, February 17, 2011

the great debate .

Lately I've been unhappy with my digital professor for architecture. I feel like he's supposed to be helping us out with the new program of rhino, and not focusing on this stupid book about cinemetrics. I'm failing to understand both the meaning of the content of the book itself in addition to the relevance it has to what we're working on in studio.

And so, I began to formulate a letter today that we as a studio could potentially send to the department head or even someone above, that not only questions the current professor, but also the criteria that it used to determine whether or not a professor is qualified to teach a course.


Without a doubt, he is a very intelligent person. But I think it's a well known and agreed upon fact that just because you are smart does not mean you will make a good teacher. This is definitely the case here. He is foreign, so there is somewhat of a language barrier, and when he is "teaching" us a topic of such lofty material, it is even more difficult to understand something that would already normally be confusing.

So I decided that I was so frustrated with that something needed to be done. The letter was the only thing I could think of. So I wrote up a draft real quick today (which ended up being over 2 pages single-spaced) during his class and sent it out to all the members of our architectural year. There have been a ton of responses thus far and it's been a real rollercoaster ride... but I'm hoping in the end it will all be really helpful. It's something that really needs to be addressed, and hopefully it will open the eyes of the department somewhat.

That's all I'm really gonna say on that tonight... It's been a bit of an exhausting process as I get email response after email response, but I'm just keeping in mind that it is all for the bettering of the architecture program here at Clemson. I'm glad that we are going to speak up.

Not really feelin a lyric of the day today, I'm just real tired and kinda wanna sleep haha. Talk to you tomorrow, and I'll try to stay on track more with these blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...