Thursday, February 17, 2011

meditation .

Back in high school, I was an active participant in my church's youth group. We had a fair number of retreats over the years, maybe usually about 2 per year; one in the fall and one in the spring. These were some of the best weekends in my life -- and really helped me to find my place with God. But one of the things that was greatest about them was the meditation.

It usually happened late on Saturday, or the morning of Sunday, as the retreats ran from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. And as it so happened, I was chosen to read it for everyone once.


I guess you could say I have been gifted with a soothing voice. From that moment on everyone wanted me to read the meditation on the retreats. Unfortunately that meant that I couldn't really partake of it and meditate myself, but that was okay. It was really amazing to see that you could affect others so strongly by just the sound of your voice.

Well, since I was reading these meditations all the time, one retreat I decided to try my hand at writing one. It took place on a really intense retreat, of which the theme was Parachutes; it was about what you did and who you counted on when you metaphorically fell in life, and about who were the people or things that were your metaphorical parachutes that you could depend on to slow/stop your fall.

Each talk on the retreat had to do with a new topic, and I happened to choose the one that was usually the most intense -- the one on actually falling. It was hard for me to open up, but I got through it. Along with every talk there would usually be a song to listen to, and then an activity to do either as a large group or broken up into smaller groups. I remember it perfectly, that I played Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard on my guitar, and sang too... and then for my activity had written my own meditation for everyone.

It was such a huge success, and sadly that is the only time I've ever written a meditation. I can remember people being moved to the point of tears, as they were consumed by the provoking and challenging questions posed in the meditation. I don't know how it happened, but God had given me a gift, and was working through me that day. As I write this, I'm getting those chills that are oh so familiar that I've talked about before...

Before the start of this semester, I had wanted to take time out of every day to meditate -- whether it be on the daily bible verses I receive in email, or on the little things I read in my daily devotional, or even on just the day's events, or whatever really crosses my mind. I could also try to just clear my mind and relax -- for I hear that those who are able to do so achieve peace of mind more frequently and for longer periods of time, releasing stress and bettering their lives overall.

Regardless of what I meditated on, if anything at all, I wanted it to happen. And unfortunately to this day I haven't but once at home during the end of winter break. It's something that I really want to become a part of my life, and it would be a great way to both begin my day and unwind from it at the end. I guess to some extent I press myself for time so much due to procrastination and also just the amount of work I have to do that I no longer leave time for it, and I don't exactly make it a priority either.

One of these days though, and even if it's not until the summer, I'll have to get into the habit. Meditation, in addition to other things like yoga can really just put you in touch with yourself -- and that's a place I most certainly want to be.

Lyric of the Day:
The lyrics of today do not exist, as it is common for meditation music to have no lyrics. The lack thereof allows self reflection and undisturbed thought, as is the goal here. Enjoy your silence, and celebrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...