Sunday, May 1, 2011

growing up .

Let's take a moment to travel back in time about 15 years -- for most of us, that was about the time kindergarten was starting. Life was carefree -- and school was only half a day. I could come home and have lunch ready made for me, and plan the rest of my day to include hopscotch, riding a tricycle, or watching television. Homework was few and far between, and almost more fun was had at school than was had at home. I could play with matchbox cars, mess around with lincoln logs, or something else.

But all of that has to end at some point. And in the blink of an eye, I'm in college, attending a university after completing elementary school, middle school, high school, going through the application process, finding the right career for me, dating various people, and just living life.


The options from here on out are endless. For almost the first time in your life, the decisions that directly affect your life are truly in your control. Sure, there are the everyday things, the decision of how to eat, whether or not to go to class and which classes you want to take, or which activities you want to partake in. But it goes beyond that.

What should I do post-college? Should I go to graduate school? If so, where? If the chosen career doesn't have any job openings when I'm done with school... where do I go and what do I do?

There are a lot of things to think about once you're entirely on your own. Bills to pay, which is more complicated than just rent... Unfortunately it can include water, electricity, and other utilities... Then there's the phone bill. If you have a car, insurance and licensing fees. And of course, we can't forget the absurd cost of gas. It's overwhelming to think about. And a bit scary.

And yet, despite all of the things that will stampede through the door with thunderous barbarity, I can't wait for the time when I can say I've been on my own and making ends meet and making life just work. It's going to be rather glorious. Some people are really anxious about leaving home .. and in some ways, I am. But I think on the larger part, I'm excited to get out there. There are a lot of hopes and aspirations that I will attempt to fulfill once I'm out on my own and working in the, so to speak, "real world."

I sometimes wonder if after I move out I will ever go back home. I asked my dad once about it, what would happen at the holidays. My question was, at what point do we stop having the family congregate at the current house, and move it elsewhere? And at what point is it acceptable to sort of begin your own traditions and holiday celebrations? He answered in probably the most mature and respectful way possible: He told me that I was welcome to do my own thing for holidays whenever I wanted, and that while he would miss having me at home for things, I was welcome to celebrate holidays and begin my own traditions and customs whenever I was ready. I don't think I would have ever expected that in a million years coming out of his mouth. And I have to say, it was pretty liberating, knowing that the boundaries had basically been erased, at least in that area.

Growing up seems to fly by years at a time, and all of a sudden you turn around and look back the road of life, and you realize you can't see the beginning anymore. You've forgotten things and other things have sort of blown away with the wind, never to be seen or remembered again. You've lost friends, made new ones, and maybe if you're lucky, kept some through the weather.

I'm excited for what lies ahead. I just want to make sure I don't forget to stop and count the daisies in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...