Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the world of gobat's .

Ever googled yourself before? Not much comes up when I put in my name. But if you go on facebook and just type in your last name, you might find something interesting. As far as I know, the name of Gobat is from a French part of Switzerland. But who really knows where your ancestors came from and where all of the descendants ended up? Say what you want about social networking websites -- but it provides a unique way to connect with a lot of people with the same last name as you. After all, they could be long lost relatives!


They're from all over the place. They're from Switzlerland and Italy and France, everywhere all over the world. And there's people in my own country too. I know at one point my sister tried creating a facebook group of all the Gobat's that were out there, in hopes that maybe we could all be connected at one central point on the web. Obviously we wouldn't all be able to talk to each other and maybe it's not really guaranteed that all of the people are relatives. But I feel like at some point, they would have to be related right?

Imagine if there was some sort of worldwide family reunion. Or even imagine that at some point there was some sort of national family reunion, where all the Gobat's in the US could just meet up somewhere and just talk. It would really be a surreal experience. It makes me wonder if reaching out in some way to these people could actually create some sort of tie between all of us.

For now, I think I'll just let it be. But maybe later in life, we can just trace the family tree all around, and talk to all of these people and hear their stories and meet them. It's just really interesting to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...