Sunday, March 13, 2011

the charleston experience .

So we began the day during the middle, at least not as early as we would have liked I'm sure. It was nice to be able to just lazily wake up and enjoy the morning a bit (and by enjoy I mean basically sleep through it for the most part). By the time we got out the door, it was probably after noon, and honestly I have no problem with that in the least. It was nice to not have to immediately worry about homework on a Saturday.


I gotta say, Charleston stepped it up today. Although being a coastal area, it does lend itself to being extremely windy. But that's to be expected, and that may not always be true.

One thing I really liked were all the little islands that were around. Last night Taylor took us to a dock of sorts, and it was great -- if only it weren't so windy and chilly. I can totally see how you could spend hours and hours there, and just being out in the middle of nowhere and being able to look all around at the lights and Cooper River Bridge and everything was simply surreal.

In my post yesterday, I may have been a bit harsh. Someone texted me about hating on Charleston... and I really don't intend to come off that way, it simply means that usually when I go to a city, I end up comparing it to New York City, regardless of which city it is. It's just that I love NYC, and it has a special place in my heart, especially after all that happened with 9/11.

In a great many ways, the 2 can't really be compared. They're different sizes, in different regions, and really serve different purposes. A lot of Charleston is based upon history, and a lot of just older type things. NYC is constantly growing, and has all kinds of business, both continental and worldwide, going on. Basically what I realized is that Charleston is neat in its own entity, unrelated to other things. And the most important part is that, it's just plain pretty. It's nice to look at, and other than the fact that the sidewalks are wayyyy too narrow, it's nice to walk around in.

I had a really nice time today. And though the weekend was short and we're heading back tomorrow, it definitely was a much needed break from the everyday things of Clemson. Sometimes you just gotta get out, sometimes school is just too much. I can't believe there is only one week left until spring break, but I can tell you one thing, I'm certainly counting down the hours.

Lyric of the day:
"there's just one road, one road to freedom"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...