Thursday, March 3, 2011

photography .

I've always had a bit of an attachment to photography. I've never gotten a really nice camera or anything, and I've never really gone out just to take pictures. But I definitely like toting my camera around to important events and vacations or trips. Recently, since I've started picture of the day, it's neat to always have my camera on hand for those events that just need to be captured on film (or in my case, a memory card...).


Naturally, I'm pretty partial to sunrise and sunset pictures. Of course, I might be a bit biased since I was up at 430am almost every day this past summer. I caught many a fantastic sunrise, and I'm so bummed I had to reset my phone, because I lost the tons of pictures that I took, even if they were just with my phone...

But to me, it's always been amazing the difference between taking and picture and photography. It's certainly not the same, at least in my book. The other day I looked at Adam Young's blog and all it was was a bunch of pictures he had taken. I guess you can blame it on neat settings or lighting adjustments or something like that, but they all looked flawless, clear, and just plain interesting.

I guess some people just really have an eye for that sort of thing. I look at a building, and automatically, the mathematics in my head tell me that if I take a picture, the sides should be lined up with the lens frame in a parallel manner. And yet, there are so many more interesting ways to take that shot. I guess my mind just doesn't work that way. But it'd be pretty sweet if it did.

It's one of those things I'd really like to get into, given the time and the money. But of course, everything you wanna seriously get into costs a serious amount of money. One of these days, I'll spend the money and buy myself a nice camera. One of these days.

The most interesting thing is that taking a picture doesn't make it photography. Composition is everything. And to some extent, the effect that you put on it. It can be really simple -- one of the pictures I saw in the list the other day was just bleacher seating that was kinda run down. But it's just interesting to look at. It really makes you think. And I like that; it slows my day down, makes me take a step back and ponder life. And so I'll leave it at that, that sometime soon (hopefully) I'll be able to really get into it. Don't get me wrong, I love my digital camera... but sometimes it just doesn't cut it.

Lyric of the Day:
"This aint subliminal, Feel the critical mass approach horizon"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...