Sunday, September 16, 2012

one size fits all .

The pastor today began by talking about a hypothetical world where all of our wishes were granted, we never went hungry, all opportunities worked out in our favor, everything we needed was there when we needed it. In essence, this is a utopia, the perfect world. But following Jesus is not about getting everything that we need and want. It is about picking up our cross and keeping it with us at all times, just as Jesus did. Needless to say, this is not a literal cross, but a hypothetical one. God does not come and go when the going gets tough, but rather stays with us in our time of need, anger, hope, sadness, grief, joy, happiness, contentment, love. The cross is not tailored to any one individual, and this is where my favorite part of the sermon comes in:


'One size fits all.'

The cross is one size fits all. We all must learn to deal with and metaphorically carry our challenges and grief with us. In the same way that Jesus found the courage and strength to keep going when He fell, so must we find that same strength within us.

I believe that there are two kinds of people in the church. There are those that one could consider "fairweather fans"; those that are faithful in times of joy and comfort, but turn then backs in anger when things don't go their way. And then there are the strong believers; those that pray often, and continue to have faith and find strength when the going gets tough.

I must admit, I had become a bit of a fairweather fan earlier this year. Since school started, I have found a way to really get back to it all, and my heart's really in it. I enjoy mass, and though it is hard to get up sometimes, I still do. Just this morning, after being very low on sleep Friday night, I thought about skipping church and just watching mass online and getting some more sleep. But then I thought, if I could devote time to go out Friday night, and spend time at the football game all Saturday, surely I could get my ass out of bed and devote an hour and a half to God today. And so I did.

Maybe it's just the atmosphere of school again, maybe it's my liking the individual church. Maybe it's the solemnity that I find in going to mass by myself at 8am in the morning with all the old folks, sitting in the same seat with the same people in front of me and behind me. I don't know, but I like it. I was iffy on church for awhile, and I think that even just my blogging about it so much can prove that I've really enjoyed it the past few weeks since I got back to school.

With that all being said, it's important that when the going gets a little tough that we don't drop our cross in the process. It's important that we don't try to hand it off to others, and only reap the benefits without giving any of ourselves at the same time. Faith is not a handout, it is a matter of give and receive. And I finally feel like I'm starting to give again.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...