Saturday, September 8, 2012

why people want to be rich .

One of the most common either/or questions that people ask is if something would rather have lots of money or have true love. Most people I know would undoubtedly answer with love -- just because you can't put a price tag on that. But sometimes I wonder why people have this goal of being rich. After all, what constitutes being 'rich'? Does it mean having everything you want, and then more? Or just being comfortable? Does it mean you can afford lavish things and upscale restaurants and designer clothes? Or does it just mean that you have lots of money and are considered a part of the 1%?


I think that there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. I think that usually if someone tells you that they want to be rich, there is a reason, as in an event or series of events that happened to them in life. If someone was a part of a family that was always scraping for money, then one of their main goals will be to provide for their future family or self something that they never had the luxury of having.

I think lots of people associate underlying materialism with the desire to have money. But I suppose there's a line between wanting to have money, and wanting to have an overabundance of money. And while I have lived a life where many luxuries have been provided for me and given to me, I can completely see where these people are coming from. The reason? College.

College makes you realize how much of a broke fucker you actually are. Being that I'm a senior this year, I had big dreams to try to do some exciting things during senior year. So far, I've been saving every penny possible, grumbling every time I have to go buy architecture supplies or get yet another book for class. I had wanted to take a trip with some friends as a sort of graduation gift to ourselves, but I don't think I'll be able to afford that.

And perhaps what ends up happening is that you pick and choose your battles. The things you really want to do, well, you leave those things on the list of wants and desires. Other things, you'll have to just give up. It's keeping this balance that is very important. Because at the end of the day, these things are not needs, they are simply wants.

So why do people want to be rich? Maybe they want to make up the experiences they feel they missed out. Maybe they just want to survive comfortably. Maybe it's a status thing. Whatever the reason though, I think it's important not to initially judge. We don't know them; we don't know their life story. Settle your own business, and then you can worry about others'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you are thinking. Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...